Round Top's 1880's Historical Victorian Treasure
Retreats, Antique Fair, International Festival Institute
Bed and Breakfast Home Round Top Reservations Antiques Fair Round Top Calendar My Blog

Texas Marriage License information

If you've just set a date for your wedding, this can be an exciting time for the two of you! Don't let the marriage license laws of Texas put a dent in your wedding plans. Here's what you need to know and what documents to bring with you before you apply for a Texas marriage license. We recommend getting this legal aspect of your wedding out of the way about a month before your wedding date. Congratulations and much happiness as you begin your lifetime journey together!

Requirements may vary as each county in Texas could have their own requirements.

ID Requirement:
In Texas, you will need one valid form of id such as drivers license, certified copy of your birth certificate, U. S. passport, military ID card, and your Social Security number.

Residency Requirement:

Neither one of you have to be a resident of Texas. Texas is a great location for a destination wedding!

Pre-marital Education:
In Texas, couples are encouraged to attend a premarital education course that is at least four hours duration. It must be finished during the year preceding applying for a marriage license. Contact the county clerk for a roster of area course providers.

Previous Marriage
If divorced within thirty days, Texas requires that you show a certified copy of your divorce decree stating the 30 day waiting period is waived.

Waiting Period:
The 72 hours (3 days) waiting period in Texas can be waived for active duty military personnel.

Fees and Other Tests:
$31 - $41 cash so don't leave home without it! The fees may vary from Texas county to county. Blood tests or medical examinations are not required in Texas.

Child Support Statement:
A child support statement is generally included on the marriage license application and states, "I AM NOT PRESENTLY DELINQUENT IN THE PAYMENT OF COURT-ORDERED CHILD SUPPORT. TRUE FALSE." This has been the law in Texas since September, 1995.

Proxy Marriages:
Yes. In Texas, any adult person can apply on behalf of an applicant who is unable to appear personally before the county clerk. An affidavit of absence form must be provided. If you are incarcerated and are unable to be present for your wedding ceremony, you can also request a Prison Proxy form.

Common Law Marriages:
Yes. Texas also refers to common law marriage as an informal marriage. Couples can file a Declaration of Informal Marriage or show proof that they are living together and representing themselves to others as a married couple.

Persons authorized to perform weddings in Texas include licensed or ordained Christian ministers, priests, Jewish rabbis, officers authorized by religious organizations, justices of the supreme court, judges of the court of criminal appeals, justices of the courts of appeals, judges of the district, county, and probate courts, judges of the county courts at law, judges of the courts of domestic relations, judges of the juvenile courts, retired justices or judges, justices of the peace, retired justices of the peace, and judges or magistrates of a federal court of Texas.

The license is valid in Texas for 30 days.  Be sure and check the website for any changes in policy.  A link has been provided to the site.